Tuesday, March 8, 2011

All People Be Happy

What do you feel will lead to a world where All People Can Be Happy, and what contribution will you make?

Everybody's voice matters, and I believe by listening to each person's voice, we create an environment of support that fosters individual and community growth. I currently tutor with the East African Community Services, where I visit the homes of refugee families to tutor their children. I value this opportunity to help people who are at a disadvantage improve their lives through education. Below, I'm tutoring Luis from Tanzania in math. By listening to Luis and giving feedback and encouragement, he is able to find the answer himself!
















1. Luis contemplates a tough math problem on his homework.
















2. He tells me what he's thinking; we talk it out.
















3. Success! He knows how to find the answer.





By always listening, everybody cultivates attitudes of belief and achievement in people.



Learn more about the All People Be Happy Foundation here.

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you about the importance of community and recognizing everyone's voice in the community. This immediately reminded me of my performance about addiction. In the last piece of the show, we all came together to celebrate and support each other within the community. The message was that we can't do it without each other, and it is the feeling of not having a voice and not belonging that leads to addiction and other unhealthy and self-destructive behaviors in the first place. All of these things are connected, and what you are doing is important on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're becoming the next Jaime Escalante!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like you are helping so much. It is so important for him to have someone listening to him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You and Luis look like you're enjoying your lesson together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So friggin rad! I like your big heart. And you're expanding it's borders. I used to tutor Mexican immigrant children in LA and found a sense of community through the experience. Seems like your fostering a community of listening and giving - one I'd be proud to be part of. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "All People Be Happy" -- it's one of the more brilliantly straightforward organization names I've heard in a while! Good luck carrying out its mission!

    ReplyDelete