Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Gestalt of You (and Me)






















Watching old copies of The French Chef (Julie Child was 6' 2'' with frizzy hair) and reading Amy Tan's novel Saving Fish from Drowning has me ruminating on personal style and the empowerment it can bring through self-expression and authenticity. Julia was a very happy lady despite her size 12 feet!

"Yet I was not dissatisfied with my looks -- well when I was younger, yes, multiply so. But by the time I became a young woman, I knew it was better the be unforgettable than bland. I learned to transform my faults into effect. I darkened my already thick eyebrows, put big-stoned jewelery on my knobby fingers. I dyed my muddy hair in long streaks of bright gold, red, and lacquer black and wove them into a passive plait that striped the entire length of my back. I adorned myself with layers of unlikely colors, clashing tones married by texture or design or flow. I wore large pendants and medallions, clown-green gaspeite where people expected cool imperial jade..."
- Amy Tan, Saving Fish from Drowning

3 comments:

  1. She is a size 12 hottie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so should I wear huge earrings to hide my big ears?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm posting a link to the video about the necessity of vulnerability in living a full life, which I think we could all benefit from watching:

    http://eloquentwoman.blogspot.com/2011/03/feel-vulnerable-when-you-speak.html

    You can never really make an impact on the world if you're too afraid to be seen.

    ReplyDelete